KZN Film Industry
The film industry in KwaZulu-Natal is experiencing steady growth. The Durban Film Office, the film promotion arm of the eThekwini Municipality, reports local production activity has soared by 41% over the past three years. The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), The KwaZulu- Natal Department of Economic Development and Tourism (DEDT) and The Durban Chamber of Commerce have all identified the film and media industries as strategic growth industries and investing heavily in attracting film production in KwaZulu-Natal.
Film production to KwaZulu Natal
Officially promotes and acts as industry facilitator for the feature film, television, video and stills photography production trade. It is funded by and operates under the auspices of the uThungulu District Municipality based in the Zululand port city of Richards Bay.
Zulu Coast Film Office
- Filming in the district by ensuring that it causes minimum disruption to local businesses and residents
- Provide a location finding and securing service
- Manage filming in communities to minimise potential upset to local residents, business and visitors to the district
- Promote the services of local business which may benefit from filming in the district.
- Act as the interface between filmmakers, local authorities and the local community.
- Provide information on potential filming locations.
- Give guidance on and provide enforcement of the legal, public health and safety, environmental and other requirements for filming.
- Liaise with Council Departments, the emergency services, local residents, business and any other involved parties.
- Assist to gain access to filming locations, directly or otherwise. Provide information on local support services.’
Tel: +27 35 7992582
Fax: +27 88 775 4013
Durban Film Office
Established in 2003, the Durban Film Office (DFO) is a division of the Department of Economic Development at the eThekwini Municipality responsible for the promotion and development of the Film Industry in the eThekwini Municipality.’
‘As a publicly funded special purpose vehicle the Durban Film Office has a range of stakeholders, including national, provincial, local government, participants in the different business models of the film sector, host communities, local broadcasters, the international production sector, the media, suppliers and technical crew.’
‘The overarching vision is to support the creation of viable and economically sustainable film sector in the City, where Durban filmmakers are renowned for creating high-quality programming, including new/digital media, for local and international audiences and for Durban to be recognised as a preferred destination for feature films and commercial media production.’
‘The goal is for Durban to be internationally recognized as a dynamic, creative, innovative cost-effective production centre for all kinds of entertainment media product, where residents regularly consume product created in the city and where the film sector contributes significantly to the economy and international profile of Durban and its citizens.’
‘The mission of the Durban Film Office, moving forward, is to proactively contribute to building and supporting an enabling environment that will deliver on the vision.
Tel: +27 31 311 4243
Fax: +27 31 311 4092