The KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission is calling for applications from local (KwaZulu-Natal) film producers to be part of the KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission’s delegation that will be attending The Cannes Film Festival, Pavilion Afriques taking place from 17-28 May 2022
The KwaZulu Natal Film Commission’s participation at the Cannes Film Festival will be at Pavilion Afriques, which creates a unique venue for film and trade promotion while outlining the diversity of African cinema. The pavilion offers a host of promotional and networking activities, including global level networking with like-minded professionals, and access to learning opportunities through masterclasses and training. The space offers the KZN Film an opportunity to promote KZN, its films and filmmakers, furthermore, it offers filmmakers opportunities to meet and collaborate with other filmmakers, as well as negotiate distribution and finance for their projects.
Pavilion Afriques is the first dedicated tent within the Film Market section of the Cannes Film Festival dedicated to the Business of Film in the African continent and among its diaspora. It champions visual storytelling by creators emerging from the African continent.
The Cannes Film festival provides a rendezvous for those interested in the art and influence of the movies. It has become an international marketplace where producers and distributors could exchange ideas, view films, and sign contracts.
Opening date for submissions: 31 March 2022
Closing date for submissions: 07 April 2022
Applications must include the following:
- A fully completed KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission markets and festivals application form
- All accompanying valid documents as per requirements on the application form
- A motivation to attend the market that details how your attendance will assist your business and or your desired outcomes from your attendance of the festival
- The invitation is open to producers with; TV series projects, feature films, short films and feature documentary film projects looking for co-producers, funders, distributors, or a combination of these
- Invitation is only open to Tier 1 ,Tier 2 & Tier 3 producers (working and not expiring links of projects must be submitted as proof)
- Invitation is also open to animation producers with projects currently in production or development
- Producers must submit the Producer’s package of the project they are taking to the festival
- The applicant is to state the stage in which their film is in, ie; development / production / complete
- Detailed CV of the Producer or director, CV/ Profile of the applicant should demonstrate previous work done and include contactable references.
- Valid proof of residence
- Certified copy of passport
- Attendees must be fully vaccinated or be able to produce negative COVID-19 PCR results before boarding
Submit your applications to KZNFilmFund@kznfilm.co.za
NB: All KZN Film Commission delegates will be required to submit attendance report within 14 days after the event.
- Tier 1: Experienced filmmakers who have a proven track record for developing and producing 3-5 theatrically released feature films, television fiction and/or non-fiction.
- Tier 2: Filmmakers with limited experience but who have developed and produced 1-2 theatrical feature films, television fiction, and/or non-fiction, +short films and/or commercials seeking to venture into feature film development and production.
- Tier 3: New entrants into the industry, particularly recent film school graduates from historically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Emergent (A):
(Produced short film, 4-7 years in industry, No formal training at NQF level 6, Worked in industry as crew/assistant, Produced Micro-budget film/television/fiction or non-fiction)
- Emergent (B)
(Completed degree or 3 national SETA certified diploma PDI Male and female, Recent graduate, Portfolio of Evidence, 0-3 years in industry)
Last modified: March 31, 2022